EDITION: US | UK | Canada
Thecapitalpost.com - Breaking, International, Business, Sports, Entertainment, Technology and Video NewsThecapitalpost.com - Breaking, International, Business, Sports, Entertainment, Technology and Video News
Sign In|Sign Up
Bridging The Gap
Syria war: UN aid convoy re-enters Eastern Ghouta amid 'calm'.
  Friday 09 March, 2018
Syria war: UN aid convoy re-enters Eastern Ghouta amid \'calm\'.

A UN aid convoy has managed to enter the rebel-held area of Eastern Ghouta in Syria which has been under intense bombardment, officials say.

For the first time since Monday, food supplies got into the town of Douma, the Red Cross said.

It follows a pause in Syrian government air strikes overnight, with the situation in the besieged enclave on Friday described as "calm".

A previous delivery of aid to the region was cut short amid shelling.

"Today, they will deliver the remaining aid that wasn't delivered during the previous convoy of 5 March," a spokeswoman for the International Committee for the Red Cross (ICRC), Ingy Sedky, said.

"We also have some positive indications that a bigger convoy with additional supplies including medical items might happen next week," Ms Sedky added.

Friday's delivery is the third attempt this week to get humanitarian aid to civilians trapped by the fighting in the region on the edge of the Syrian capital, Damascus.

But reports of renewed shelling near Douma have put the latest aid effort at risk.

Ali al-Zatari, the UN humanitarian co-ordinator in Syria, said any bombardment of the area during the delivery of aid was in breach of "assurances of safety from parties including the Russian Federation", AFP news agency reports.

On Monday, a convoy of 46 trucks delivered some provisions to Douma but was forced to turn back.

A second attempt was later made to deliver the aid that agencies had failed to offload, but this was cancelled at the last minute due to security concerns.

While ICRC officials expect this latest convoy to successfully deliver its cargo, humanitarian organisations say it is not nearly enough aid for the estimated 400,000 people trapped in the area.

More than 900 civilians have been killed in the Eastern Ghouta region since the Russian-backed government assault was launched on 18 February, according to the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) monitoring group, which has a network of sources on the ground.

Many of the victims are children.

On Friday, the air strikes reportedly ceased briefly, with the enclave seeing its calmest night in more than a week, the SOHR said.

The Syrian government and its key ally Russia say a daily five-hour pause, which began in principle last week, does not apply to the targeting of some of the rebel groups within Eastern Ghouta.

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-43343266

Bookmark and Share
Post Your Comments:
Name :
City / State:
Email address:
Type your comments:
Enter Security Code:   

 Latest News »
  Army National Guard general un...
  'Space Force': Trump proposes ...
  President Trump, Congress hono...
  Trump takes executive action t...
  'No child, no teacher should e...
  First Trump State of the Union...
  Trump State of the Union addre...
  'America First policy is not A...
  In bid to save manufacturing j...
  Social security benefits? Pass...
  In extraordinary public negoti...
  Trump: My nuclear button is 'm...
  Trump rings in new year at gli...
  Trump declares victory as tax ...
  Trump recognizes Jerusalem as ...
  Trump-Russia: Flynn's dealings...
  Trump private charity received...
  Trump declares North Korea a s...
  Republican tax overhaul clears...
  Trump says he believes intelli...

Current Conditions:

Thu - Mostly Cloudy. High: 44Low: 30
Fri - Partly Cloudy. High: 44Low: 30
Sat - Partly Cloudy. High: 44Low: 28
Sun - Partly Cloudy. High: 43Low: 32
Mon - Mostly Sunny. High: 47Low: 29

Full Forecast at Yahoo! Weather

Washington, DC

  2010 The Capital Post. All rights reserved.