Former interior minister Chaudhary Nisar Ali Khan has contradicted media reports, trying to draw conclusions out of his absence from Nawaz Sharif’s homecoming rally.
“I never told anyone that I would drive Nawaz Sharif’s car to Lahore. Why then a section of the media kept circulating the baseless news the entire day,” Nisar was quoted by his spokesperson Mohammad Aslam Shahid as saying in a statement on Thursday evening.
Former prime minister Nawaz Sharif – who was disqualified last month by the Supreme Court for hiding assets in his nomination papers for 2013 elections –on Wednesday kicked off his journey from Islamabad to reach Lahore via GT Road.
‘’Ninety per cent of the central leadership is not present in the rally… why I am the only one being targeted,’’ the former interior minister complained.
He insisted he never said he would not participate in the rally due to back pain. Nor was my absence not due to this reason, he added.
Some media outlets, the former minister said, crafted news reports by their own and circulate them on his behalf. “It is regrettable how such rumours surface in the media,” he lamented.
Nisar once again asked the media to confirm any statement related to him before airing or publishing it in order to “avoid misunderstanding”.