EDITION: US | UK | Canada
Thecapitalpost.com - Breaking, International, Business, Sports, Entertainment, Technology and Video NewsThecapitalpost.com - Breaking, International, Business, Sports, Entertainment, Technology and Video News
Sign In|Sign Up
 
 
Bridging The Gap
Coronavirus: No change in outbreak despite China spike, WHO says
  Friday 14 February, 2020
Coronavirus: No change in outbreak despite China spike, WHO says

Coronavirus cases are not rising dramatically outside China despite a spike in Hubei province, the World Health Organization (WHO) says.

The only exception was on a cruise liner docked in Japan, where 44 new cases were reported, bringing the total there to 218.

There was also no major shift in the coronavirus's pattern of mortality or severity, according to the WHO.

The latest figures show 121 new deaths in China, bringing the total to 1,380.

The total infections jumped by 5,090 to 63,851 cases on 13 February, the National Health Commission said on Friday.

Health officials said six health workers were among those who had died, and that 1,716 health workers had been infected.

The fatalities include Li Wenliang, a doctor who tried to alert authorities to the virus early on but was accused by police of "spreading rumours. His death on 7 February provoked a burst of public anger and grief.

The latest figures from Hubei recorded 116 deaths and 4,823 new cases. That is a smaller increase than the previous day when there was a spike with 240 new deaths and nearly 15,000 new cases.

However, most of this was down to Hubei using a broader definition to diagnose people, said Mike Ryan, head of WHO's health emergencies programme.

"This does not represent a significant change in the trajectory of the outbreak," he said.

Outside China there had been two deaths and 447 cases in 24 countries, he said.

On Thursday Japan announced its first coronavirus death - a woman in her 80s who lived in Kanagawa, south-west of Tokyo.

The woman's diagnosis was confirmed after her death and she had no obvious link to China's Hubei province, the epicentre of the outbreak, Japanese media reported.

On Thursday, the US state department said it was "deeply concerned" about the possible effect of an outbreak in North Korea, which has so far not reported any cases.

What is happening on the Diamond Princess?
The vessel is in quarantine in Yokohama. Not all the 3,700 people on board have been tested yet.

People with the virus are taken to hospitals on land to be treated, while those on board are largely confined to their cabins.

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-51495484

Bookmark and Share
 
Post Your Comments:
Name :
*
City / State:
*
Email address:
*
Type your comments:
*
Enter Security Code:   


 Latest News »
 
  Trump administration cuts CDC ...
  WHO rethinking how Covid-19 sp...
  Trump has officially begun to ...
  Trump ‘Salute to America’ Feat...
  Tulsa mayor lifts curfew ahead...
  Trump stirs anger with plans f...
  White House was locked down as...
  Trump to order US flags lowere...
  Trump threatens to permanently...
  Dr. Anthony Fauci to testify t...
  Trump heads to Arizona for mos...
  Trump orders meatpacking plant...
  Outcry after Trump suggests in...
  Trump's new guidelines for sta...
  Trump says peak is passed and ...
  rump's claim about presidentia...
  Trump cracks down on nations h...
  Trump hasn't ordered any venti...
  Trump announces U.S.-Mexico bo...
  Trump calls for pumping $1 tri...
 

Washington, DC

  ©2010 The Capital Post. All rights reserved.