EDITION: US | UK | Canada
Thecapitalpost.com - Breaking, International, Business, Sports, Entertainment, Technology and Video NewsThecapitalpost.com - Breaking, International, Business, Sports, Entertainment, Technology and Video News
Sign In|Sign Up
 
 
Bridging The Gap
DR Congo Ebola outbreak declared global health emergency
  Wednesday 17 July, 2019
DR Congo Ebola outbreak declared global health emergency

The World Health Organization has declared the Ebola crisis in the Democratic Republic of Congo a "public health emergency of international concern".

The move may encourage wealthy donor countries to provide more cash.

But the WHO stopped short of saying borders should be closed, saying the risk of the disease spreading outside the region was not high.

The outbreak in DR Congo has killed more than 1,600 people.

This week, the first case was detected in Goma, home to more than a million.

The PHEIC emergency provision is the highest level of alarm the WHO can sound and has only been used four times previously.

This includes the Ebola epidemic that devastated parts of West Africa from 2014 to 2016, and killed more than 11,000 people.

"It is time for the world to take notice," WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told a news conference in Geneva on Wednesday at which the emergency was declared.

He said he accepted recommendations there should be no restrictions on travel or trade, and no entry screening of passengers at ports or airports outside the immediate region.

Ebola outbreak in five graphics
'A gruesome game of whack-a-mole'

The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies welcomed the move.

"While it does not change the reality on the ground for victims or partners engaged in the response, we hope it will bring the international attention that this crisis deserves," it said in a statement.
How bad is the situation in DR Congo?

The outbreak, the second largest in history, started in August 2018 and is affecting two provinces in DR Congo - North Kivu and Ituri.

More than 2,500 people have been infected and two-thirds of them have died.

It took 224 days for the number of cases to reach 1,000, but just a further 71 days to reach 2,000.

About 12 new cases are being reported every day.

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/health-49025298

Bookmark and Share
 
Post Your Comments:
Name :
*
City / State:
*
Email address:
*
Type your comments:
*
Enter Security Code:   


 Your Comments

 ,New York  Date:Sunday 21 July, 2019

 ,New York  Date:Sunday 21 July, 2019

 ,New York  Date:Sunday 21 July, 2019

 Latest News »
 
  Pete Buttigieg faces new scrut...
  Trump announces resuming peace...
  Trump signs bipartisan bill ai...
  Michael Bloomberg joins 2020 U...
  Trump, first lady Melania Trum...
  At Kentucky rally, Donald Trum...
  Photo of Trump watching al-Bag...
  'We're going to have him for a...
  Donald Trump sticks with plan ...
  Trump's call to Ukraine's pres...
  Donald Trump's wary White Hous...
  Trump acknowledges bringing up...
  Trump talks with Democratic le...
  Trump slams former top nationa...
  Trump declares emergency in Fl...
  On climate, Trump says he won'...
  Donald Trump cancels trip to D...
  Trump advocates for more menta...
  'Make sure we win': Donald Tru...
  Trump threatens to retaliate a...
 

Washington, DC

  2010 The Capital Post. All rights reserved.