EDITION: US | UK | Canada
Thecapitalpost.com - Breaking, International, Business, Sports, Entertainment, Technology and Video NewsThecapitalpost.com - Breaking, International, Business, Sports, Entertainment, Technology and Video News
Sign In|Sign Up
 
 
Bridging The Gap
Australian surf event cancelled after shark attacks
  Tuesday 17 April, 2018
Australian surf event cancelled after shark attacks

A major surfing tournament in Australia has been called off following two shark attacks in the area.

The World Surf League (WSL) said the final days of the Margaret River Pro event in Western Australia would be cancelled due to safety concerns.

On Monday, two recreational surfers survived separate attacks in Gracetown, about 6km (3.8 miles) from the event.

The first man was treated for serious leg injuries. The second man suffered a minor bite to his thigh.

The event had been suspended for an hour after the first attack on Monday.

But organisers said "actively aggressive sharks" remained in the area on Wednesday, possibly due to the presence of nearby beached whales.

"Current circumstances are very unusual and troubling, and we have decided that the elevated risk during this season's Margaret River Pro has crossed the threshold for what is acceptable," chief executive Sophie Goldschmidt said.

"The WSL puts the highest premium on safety. This cannot be just talk, and it cannot be compromised."
Surfers fearful

Some competitors, including Brazilian Italo Ferreira, had expressed concerns about returning to the water.

"Two shark attacks in less than 24 hours here in Australia, just a few kilometres from where the event is being held," he wrote on Instagram.

"Very dangerous, don't you think? Is the safety of athletes not priority?"

Another Brazilian surfer, Gabriel Medina, wrote: "I do not feel safe training and competing in this kind of place, any time anything can happen to one of us."

Medina endured a shark scare during a competition in South Africa last year when he and Australian surfer Mick Fanning had to be removed from the water.

The first man to be attacked on Monday, Alejandro Travaglini, underwent surgery after being mauled by what he said was a white pointer shark, also known as a great white.

Mr Travaglini, 37, had managed to escape the shark and bodysurf back to shore with the help of other surfers.

"I just want to thank all the legends who helped me up the beach," he said after his surgery.

The second man was attacked a few hours after Mr Travaglini at a nearby beach, despite it being closed by authorities. He was treated by paramedics for minor injuries.

The Margaret River Pro had been due to conclude on Sunday.

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-43805292

Bookmark and Share
 
Post Your Comments:
Name :
*
City / State:
*
Email address:
*
Type your comments:
*
Enter Security Code:   


 Your Comments

 ,New York  Date:Sunday 22 April, 2018

 ,New York  Date:Sunday 22 April, 2018

 ,New York  Date:Sunday 22 April, 2018

 Latest News »
 
  Fact-checking Trump's Arizona ...
  Democrats want sanctuary for t...
  Nikki Haley, top Trump aide, w...
  Donald Trump, who accuses inte...
  President Donald Trump calls f...
  Donald Trump tells aides he li...
  Salman Khan and crew wows the ...
  President Trump takes swipe at...
  President Trump's July Fourth:...
  Following criticism, President...
  Navy’s planned shipbuilding sp...
  Confusion reigns in wake of Tr...
  The handshake, denuclearizatio...
  Trump to leave G-7 summit earl...
  Can Trump really do that? The ...
  Trump imposes steel, aluminum ...
  American freed from Venezuela ...
  Trump again changes tone on No...
  CIA Director Gina Haspel sworn...
  President Trump promises actio...
 

Current Conditions:
Sunny

Forecast:
Tue - Sunny. High: 71Low: 43
Wed - Mostly Sunny. High: 55Low: 46
Thu - Partly Cloudy. High: 55Low: 40
Fri - Scattered Showers. High: 55Low: 44
Sat - Showers. High: 53Low: 51

Full Forecast at Yahoo! Weather



Washington, DC

  ©2010 The Capital Post. All rights reserved.